The West Sussex Governors’ Association (WSGA) Executive Committee will:
Establish the strategic direction by:
- Setting the vision, values, and objectives for WSGA
- Agreeing the WSGA strategy with priorities and targets
- Working with the Local Authority, Schools (including Academies and Free Schools) and Governing Bodies
Ensure accountability by:
- Appointing a chair and vice chair of committee
- Appointing a treasurer
- Engaging with stakeholders
- Reporting our activities regularly and openly
Ensure financial probity by:
- Monitoring spending against the budget
- Ensuring value for money is obtained
- Ensuring risks to the organisation are managed
Members of the WSGA Executive Board agree to the following:
Role & Responsibilities
- We understand the purpose of the WSGA
- We accept that we have no legal authority to act individually, except when the committee has given us delegated authority to do so, and therefore we will only speak on behalf of the WSGA when we have been specifically authorised to do so.
- We accept collective responsibility for all decisions made by the committee or its delegated agents. This means that we will not speak against majority decisions outside the committe meeting.
- We will encourage open discussion and will act appropriately.
- We will consider carefully how our decisions may affect all schools.
- In making or responding to criticism or complaints we will follow the procedures established by NGA.
- We will actively support and challenge the Local Authority.
- We acknowledge that accepting office on the WSGA committee member involves the commitment of of time and energy.
- We will each involve ourselves actively in the work of the WSGA and accept our fair share of responsibilities, including service on working groups.
- We will make full efforts to attend all meetings and where we cannot attend explain in advance why we are unable to.
- We will consider seriously our individual and collective needs for induction, training and development and will undertake relevant training.
- We accept that, in the interests of openness on the committee, our full names and date of appointment will be published on the WSGA website.
- We will strive to work as a team in which constructive working relationships are actively promoted.
- We will express views openly, courteously and respectfully in all our communications with other committee members and the clerk to the committee. We will support the chair in their role of ensuring appropriate conduct both at meetings and always.
- We are prepared to answer queries from other committee members in relation to delegated functions and consider any concerns expressed, and we will acknowledge the time, effort and skills that have been committed to the delegated function by those involved.
- We will seek to develop effective working relationships with the Local Authority and Governors at all Schools, Academies and Free Schools.
- We will observe complete confidentiality within discussions of the committee.
- We will not reveal the details of any discussions of the committee with the Local Authority unless authorized to do so.
Conflicts of interest
- We will declare any conflict of loyalty at the start of any meeting should the situation arise.
- We will act in the best interests of the WSGA
Breach of these criteria
- If we believe this code has been breached, we will raise this issue with the chair and the chair will investigate; the committee will only use suspension/removal as a last resort after seeking to resolve any difficulties or disputes in more constructive ways.
- Should it be the chair that we believe has breached this code the vice chair will investigate.